Monday, January 29, 2018
DPS Magnet School and CTE Pathway Lottery Deadline--Friday, February 2nd at 5:00PM
Durham Public Schools' (DPS) lottery period is drawing to a close--Friday, February 2nd at 5:00PM is the deadline. After the recent weather and school closures, DPS added two days to the application period. You cannot apply late and you must apply online. Go to the DPS website or straight to the DPS application site to apply for magnet schools for elementary, middle, and high school as well as CTE (Career & Technical Education) high school options. You must have an email address to apply.
The application site also has detailed information about your school options. Click on About and scroll down on the right to Browse Programs.
If you are still looking for help in making a decision, feel free to give the Parent Advocacy Program at Durham County Cooperative Extension a call. Contact Donna Rewalt, Outreach Coordinator at 919-560-0538 or email@example.com.
Here's a few lottery reminders:
1) Remember, you are always eligible to go to your base school based on the address where you live.
2) If you are confused about your base school, any priority zones, or the year-round options you can apply for, enter your address on the DPS school locator tool, http://gisweb2.durhamnc.gov/durhammaps/DPS/viewer/index.html . Contact student assignment at 919-560-2059 with any questions.
3) First choices are assigned first in the lottery, so the order of your choices matters. If you are interested in a popular school option, you will want to keep that in mind. You may pick up to three choices.
4) On March 1, results will be available. You can log back into the application site and see the results. If you are on a waitlist, the lottery dashboard will give you your number on the waitlist.
5) Due to the recent class size reduction legislation for grades K-3 that is affecting schools across NC, there will be fewer spaces available overall for Kindergarten in this year's lottery.